Details please.  Is it an existing or new dataset?  Is it really
partitioned?  Does the DSCB already have a RECFM?  Are you opening for input
or output?  Any chance of an AMODE inconsistency?  Can you show us the SVC
99 code and the OPEN instruction?

Any chance you could add a snap dump of the DCB prior to the open to verify
everything is the way you think it should be?