John Gilmore wrote:

Just my little comments, if you don't mind please.

>I can think of few drearier or more gratuitous tasks than "going through all
>of the manuals" to change instances of 'load module' to instances of 'load
>module or program object'.

What would you say about 'load module' when they are run from Unix / Linux
environment?

'Executable'? 'Binaries'? Other?

I agree it is a 'Muddy World'...

>This community is full of instinctually risk averse, conservative people who
>cherish and defend the old and are reluctant to master new technology, often
>long after it has ceased to be at all new.  This propensity is stubborn and
>hard to change, but it should be discouraged where it can be, and terminology
>that obliterates substantive distinctions is not helpful in doing so.

Agreed! Some of the reasons of this 'stubborness' are: Difficult migration to
new technology (hardware, software, etc), Backward compatibility, Costs,
Politics, Unavailability of training, etc.

About terminology: how do you explain the term 'IPL' to people who only
understand 'boot', 'bootstrap', 'reboot', etc?

>Portmanteau words like 'alphanumeric' are often useful.

Only if the intended readers understand them, otherwise you're back to square
one...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht