From: Storr, Lon A CTR USARMY HRC (US)
Sent: Thursday, September 4, 2014 13:30
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Allocation in CYLinder increments (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello List,

I'd be interested in feedback regarding allocation in tracks versus cylinders
for certain types of high-usage datasets.

I believe that there may be certain instances when allocation in units of CYL
is beneficial. One example, I believe, is a PDS that has a multi-track
directory: a single channel program can search up to a CYLinder at a time.
Another example, I believe, is a VSAM dataset allocated in CYLinders will
receive a CA-size of one CYLinder. A benefit similar to the first, if it even
exists, would be achieved by caching the PDS directory in some way (e.g. BLDL),
as I'm sure many system software applications already do (e.g. LLA and ISPF).

Are there still pertinent benefits to allocating certain types of datasets in
CYLinder increments?

Thanks,
Alan