In <1161412271.13528226.1409940174418.javamail.r...@comcast.net>, on
09/05/2014
   at 06:02 PM, DASDBILL2 <dasdbi...@comcast.net> said:

>True for some value of "basically", but not true always.  Keyed
>searches cannot be executed in ECKD mode,

>From IBM Enterprise Storage ServerA  IBM System/390 Command Reference
2105 Models E10, E20, F10, and F20. SC26-7298-01, p. 28:

10 Special Search Key Mode
    Byte 7, bits 0, 1, when set to '10', indicate that Search Key
    operations may be carried out in Special Search Key mode.
    Restrictions on the use of this mode are given below.

    By setting special search key mode, the software is responsible
    for ensuring:
     1. That any search CCW that is encountered be in a search TIC
        loop
     2. That the search TIC loop consists of:
          * Optionally a single Read Count command (may be
            multi-track).
          * A single Search Key command (may be multi-track,
            Search Key Equal, Search Key High, or Search Key Equal
            or High).
          * TIC
          * Nothing else
     3. Data length of search key CCW must equal key length for all
        records to be searched.

    Warning: Failure to follow these rules when in Special Search
    Key mode may yield unpredictable and inconsistent results.