I would also, having done this awhile, be comfortable with APPLY
BYPASS(HOLDERR(specificapar)) is and only if I was 1. Actually experiencing the
problem fixed by the PTF and 2. Confident the reason for error wasn't worse.

At the beginning of my systems programmer career, I might have been naïve
enough to try BYPSSS(HOLDERR but I had the benefit of more experienced mentors.

Mr. Mainframe Mainframe is trying hard, but it is clear he has been tossed in
the deep end without sufficient support and training.