Thanks all.

1. Source language is C++. I know how to call an "assembler" function from C++.
It seems odd to me that IBM would make such a basic OMVS function available to
assembler programs but only "by the way" available to C programs, but whatever.

2. Definitely no Rexx involved.

3. I have this nagging fear that the problem is that because the program is
compiled #pragma RUNOPTS(POSIX(ON)) that as a result LE is failing it before my
first "user" instruction executes, and therefore I have no ability to issue a
more user-friendly message than a U4093 ABEND. I am trying to confirm that. I
am currently wrestling with an internal "you can't get there from here"
situation relative to testing with a no-OMVS-segment userid. Does anyone happen
to *know* whether this is the case? That POSIX(ON) means LE requires an OMVS
segment during program LE initialization?

I wish IBM wouldn't do this. Logically, a U4093/90 ABEND is no different from
an error message, but it does not work that way with customer psychology. We
send out a trial package, the customer runs the product (and yes, we document
the need for an OMS segment, but who reads documentation? Not our customers.)
and it gets a U4093 ABEND. Does the customer look it up? No, he picks up the
phone, calls the salesman and says "your product blows up when we try to run
it." The salesman tells support. By then the customer has deleted the SYSOUT
without noting the exact ABEND, so we have to persuade the disgruntled prospect
to run the product AGAIN -- he inevitably reports "no better -- it's STILL
blowing up" so we can get the ABEND code and diagnose the problem. In fact, get
all of the symptoms because at that point we don't know that the ABEND number
will be sufficient to diagnose the problem. A nice, readable message, either
from LE or from us, would be a lot better all around. End of rant.

Charles