From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Charles Mills
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 10:45 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Enterprise COBOL v5.1 Implemented?

Well, I suppose it is possible that it is removing the *code* but not the
literal.

Does COBOL 5.1 have a "show me the pseudo-assembler listing" option? That would
provide a better test IMHO.

Of course, the real harm in not removing unreachable code is pretty modest
IMHO. Makes your executable larger, which uses DASD, and virtual storage, and
fetch time, and slightly reduces i-cache hit probability, and perhaps gets in
the way of short relative jumps -- but all pretty modest effects IMHO. Or am I
missing something?