"It depends."  See the following two links (Enterprise COBOL v4.2, but probably
valid back to VS COBOL II):

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/#!/SS6SG3_4.2.0/com.ibm.entcobol.doc_4.2/PGandLR/ref/rlddecom.htm

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/#!/SS6SG3_4.2.0/com.ibm.entcobol.doc_4.2/PGandLR/ui/up4060.htm

   -jc-

Information contained in this e-mail message and in any attachments thereto is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems, notify the sender immediately,
and refrain from using or disclosing all or any part of its content to any
other person.