On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:02:11 -0400, John Gilmore wrote:

>In general truncations to decimal digits are a bad, even diseased,
>idea for binary data.

Reminds me on the time when, on ASSEMBLER-LIST, I wondered
why Packed Decimal uses sign-magnitude rather than 10's
complement representation.

o 10's complement affords a greater range of numeric values than
  sign-magnitude in the same storage (factor of 5).

o 10's complement avoids the need for a recomplement pass
  in a subtraction when the sign of the result differs from the
  sign of either operand.  Other contributors to that list assure
  me that no such recomplement is ever necessary.  I continue
  to disagree.

-- gil