On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:51:04 -0500, Walt Farrell <walt.farr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Well, I have no experience with forking an address space, but how would the
>>two communicate?  Usually, there is some sort of common shared storage which
>>does require APF authorization to establish and cleanup.

UNIX makes things easy; z/OS without UNIX would be hard.

>In the UNIX paradigm (which you'd be using with functions like fork()) you
>would commmunicate using sockets or file-descriptor-based I/O, I believe.
>Running multiple address spaces is a very common UNIX approach, which z/OS as
>a UNIX system supports, and which does not (necessarily) make use of
>storage-based communication mechanisms.

Nitpicking:  If I do something as simple as "date | wc", is the communication
between the two processes:

o storage-based?

o other (specify)?  Could be sockets, but why do it the hard way?
  (early Windows used to write to a temp file and read that back.
  I believe it's got better, now.)

(I'd call it storage-based, but kernel does the dirty work for you.)  Kernel
is there for everyone to use; it's probably APF authorized to do the Xmem.

-- gil