On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:18:52 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:

>I stand corrected. BALR and BASR do not set bit 63 of the return register if
>in
>AMODE 64, so what I wrote earlier applies only to AMODE 24 or 31 callers using
>those instructions. BASSM always provides the correct information for BSM to
>correctly return to the calling program.

Thanks.  I'm not up to date on my P[ro]Op reading, and was ignorant of
the bit 63 behavior.

FWIW, I see in SYS1.MACLIB(RETURN):

         OI    15(13),X'01'                      SET RETURN INDICATION  01600000

BASSM has some minor conflict with this convention.  I doubt that
it matters.  Does anyone inspect this indication in dumps?

-- gil