I see this message routinely in two circumstances.

1. The 'job' is actually a started task running SUB=MSTR, i.e. not under JES.
An STC can resemble a job if run from SYS1.STCJOBS, so look at it carefully.

2. The job has steps/tasks that run under OMVS. For example, my ShopzSeries
orders always have 'steps' that store PTFs etc. into a ZFS. If I try to select
one of those tasks, I get JCT NOT AVAILABLE. Meanwhile, there is at the same
time another task in the job that can be selected to show what's going on.

For case #1, there is no JOBLOG to recover. However, all messages are recorded
in SYSLOG/OPERLOG. You can sift through it by STC number and collect the
messages yourself. A bit cumbersome, but nothing is actually lost.

For case #2, there is a JOBLOG that can be perused after the fact in the output
queue. All messages are collected there ex post facto.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson