Rex,

The dsn is multi-volume and growing along with fragmentation.  This is why we
like to define the file with a large primary about 7,000+ so as to avoid
extents.

On Wed, 10/22/14, Pommier, Rex <rpomm...@sfgmembers.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: QUESTION ABOUT VSAM / VSAM EXTENDED
 To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

 Willie,

 Just gleaning from the various
 replies on the list (without actually doing any research of
 my own), the answer is "it depends" - are you
 looking at a single volume VSAM dataset?  If so, I believe
 the 65536 track (about 4369 cylinders) is the max - nothing
 to do with the fact that it is VSAM, just the limit of
 tracks on a volume - well under the 4 GB (or GiB) limit.

 If you are looking at a
 multi-volume dataset, it depends on your CI size and the
 accompanying physical block size of the dataset which
 changes the amount of data that can fit on a single track or
 cylinder.

 Rex