> Thanks for letting me know that my memory still works. I hadn't found
> the mapping macro for the quickcell element yet and was going on
> memories dating back to what I coded in 1973. Thank you very much for
> the corroboration.
>
> An old system programmer...

  CPOOL was a new service in MVS/XA.  By "quickcell", you
may be referring to the services provided by the CETCELL/FREECELL
macros (modules IEAVGTCL/IEAVFRCL), and BLDCPOOL and DELCPOOL
macros.  These macros and code are still in the system,
although no longer documented.
  SYS1.MODGEN(IHACPAB) is the mapping for the pool anchor.
There was no mapping macro for the pool element - the
link field offset of 0 is coded as an EQU in each module
that needs it.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY