>>Multiply by 10. Two of our larger LPARs have 640GB each.
 >
>I didn't know that an individual instance could be that large. Without
>revealing any company secrets could you tell what combination of systems can
>use that much memory above the bar?

Sure, there are not country secrets here.

It's *real* storage we're talking about here. There are exceptions, but
generally speaking, application code knows only about *virtual* storage. This
is where you talk about addressing  like below and above the line or the bar.

Hardware maps virtual addresses to real addresses. How much *real* storage you
can install and use is mainly dependent on hardware limitations and then on the
operating system portion that is responsible for hardware storage, i.e the real
storage manager (RSM).

The fact that hardware and RSM can handle 640GB of *real*, doesn't imply there
is a lot of above the bar *virtual* storage usage.

Simplified example: Say you have 640 instances of a 31bit application active in
parallel, each of which is aktively using 1GB of *below* the bar (virtual)
storage. That's 640GB of virtual storage which needs to be backed by real
storage to hold the data. If your system has got 64GB of *real* storage, then
90% of your applications data has to be paged out at any point in time.  Your
system will do a lot of paging.
If your system has got 640GB of *real* storage, all of the application's data
can be kept in real storage at the same time. The system won't page anymore.

Aside from that, DF Sort and DB2 are two "applications" that I know are heavily
using above the bar (virtual) storage instead of data space or hiperspace
storage. DB2 permits itself to use 4TB of above the bar virtual (by overriding
any MEMLIMIT, as I only recently learned).

--
Peter Hunkeler