Our current process:

When time comes to switch back from daylight saving time to standard time,
we're stopping our DBMS and middleware softwar for one hour. Reason being that
we cannot get commitment from the application side that each and every
application is either using UTC or that it can cope with duplicate time stamps.

Our current "problem":

Someone has put the idea in our managment's head that there is a software
soltution which avoids the one hour pause. The software would "slows down" the
(local time) clock so that one software hour will take two real hours to pass
by.

Does anyone know about such a solution?
Does anyone use one?
Does anyone use other processes?

We'd like to be able to argue with management about this idea.

--
Peter Hunkeler