On Tue, 9 Dec 2014 16:29:49 -0500, Kurt Quackenbush wrote:

>> ...  I believe (I may be wrong) that RECEIVE FROMNTS still
>> stages SMPPTFIN to Classic data sets.
>
>RECEIVE FROMNTS unpaxes the archives into temporary UNIX files, and then
>does indeed read the MCS directly from those UNIX files.  No data sets
>are involved.

In fact, I was thinking it might even be possible to bypass the "temporary
UNIX files" and pipe directly from "pax -r" to SMPPTFIN.  I was pleasantly
mildly surprised to discover the following works on a GIMZIP archive:

    pax -rvE -s '!\./SMPPTFIN!/dev/fd/1!' */SMPPTFIN <*.SMPMCS.pax.Z 2>foo |
        dd cbs=80 conv=unblock | less

So pax might extract to the input of a pipe, and RECEIVE could allocate
SMPPTFIN to the output of that pipe.

Blessedly, pax appears to log and report errors on stderr rather than stdout.

(John M. would appreciate my hackisness.)

-- gil