I am not sure you can restrict how much storage SMP/E will use.  I think you
need to look at several elements to see what you need.  But over the years, I
have only seen the requirements grow not shrink.

If you looked at Marna Walle's Migration documents you can see that the SMP/E
and operating system environment is growing.  So you will need to get with your
management and explain why you need more storage to do your work.

You need to increase your MCS dataset.  The only way you can shrink the base
SMP/E datasets (PTS, SCDS, MCS, GLOBAL, etc...) is to do ACCEPT of the
maintenance.  However, that may not fix the issue.

Questions I think you need to consider.
How many products are managed in this SMP/E environment? Only IBM or IBM + OEM
etc...
How often do you do ACCEPT of maintenance?
I see you are not using SMS to manage your SMP/E environment.  Is that due to
SMS is not used in your shop?  Or do you just not want SMP/E to be under SMS
control?
How much storage are you allowed to have?

These do not necessarily need to be answered to the list, but you should
consider what you will need for now and in the future for install maintenance.
If your shops says you can only use X MB of storage for SMP/E functions, then
at some point you will not be able to do maintenance.  And that means whether
you are installing RSUs or implementing a full system upgrade.

During RECEIVE processing, the MCS for each SYSMOD is copied to an SMP/E
temporary storage area called the SMPPTS data set. The MCS entry contains the
MCS and any inline element replacements or updates for the SYSMOD. Relative
files, however, are stored in another temporary storage area called the SMPTLIB
data sets.

During ACCEPT processing, Global zone SYSMOD entries and MCS statements in the
SMPPTS data set are
deleted for those SYSMODs that have been accepted into the distribution zone.
Any SMPTLIB data sets created during RECEIVE processing are also deleted. If
you do not want SMP/E to do this global zone clean-up, you have the option to
indicate this to SMP/E, and the information is saved.

Lizette