I bet it's a square bracket issue. Try using IBM-1047.

On 11/12/2014 10:06 AM, David Speake wrote:
We have z/OS 2.01 up in the sysprog's sandbox and I am attempting to play with
regular expressions in ISREDIT  FIND an CHANGE commands both from the command
line and within macros. Having NO luck. When I run this MACRO
/*  REXX */
/* LINE */
/* LANE */
TRACE ?I
ADDRESS ISREDIT
SAY ADDRESS()
MACRO
"F" "'L[AI]NE'"
against itself it does not find line and lane, it finds 'L[AI]NE'
  Looking for information I went to TUTOR ISR2M21K via the long route at which
point ....

A regular expression string is used to specify a pattern for the string as
supported by the C runtime library REGCOMP function,
instead of the exact characters to be found.

     Example -   ===> find r'l[ai]ne' word       will find words lane and line
                                             in the file being edited
A regular expression string is a quoted string that is preceded or
followed by the letter "R" or the letters "RC". Use "RC" to request a
case sensitive search be performed.

The string must conform to the format allowed by the REGCOMP function
supported by the C runtime library and the C runtime library must be
available.

Could this be my problem? Is this C runtime library available in z/OS ONLY if
you buy the C compiler? I do not know if we do or don't have it and I'd rather
not upset my SYSPROG with invidious curiosity ;-). Whither this beast? What be
its name, directory, etc.
Will be back at my desk Thursday about 5:00 EDT.