On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:04:50 -0600, Paul Edwards wrote:

>That is not even close to the RDW format that IBM
>provides. I have based PDPCLIB around IBM's RDW
>format.

And you're not flexible about this?  And you designed your implementation
without doing a PoC?

>That STRU R format also doesn't allow data with x'ff'
>in it. The RDW format does.

That sucks.  How about, then, my earlier suggestion of:

    BINARY
    QUOTE SITE TYPE E
    QUOTE SITE MODE B

>> STRU R should meet your objective.
>Unfortunately not.

I see.

>I don't care if there is a new keyword or any other
>solution, so long as IBM's RDW format is reversible.
>
>There is a TRANSMIT-equivalent called XMIT370, and I
>distribute GCCMVS in that manner.
>
>But I would like to be able to distribute a V file the
>same way I can distribute an F file or a U file, ie
>just as a simple file, no wrapper (like XMIT/TERSE).

In a sense, FTP RDW is a wrapper.  But I grant that it is unwrapped
by the FTP command itself, with no need to run a separate unwrapping
command on the Z.

>I am not interested in BDWs etc. I consider that IBM's
>RDW option is an excellent choice for variable-lengthed
>binary records. It produces a V-format file that can be
>processed by a C program. The C program is expected
>to understand what an RDW is (but not BDW etc). I
>consider this to be logical and neat, and all I am after
>is for the RDW option to be reversible so that F, V and
>U files can all be transferred simply from mainframe
>to PC and back.

Squeeze your lemon; make lemonade; TYPE E; MODE B.

-- gil