>> I wish to distribute VB files (developed on MVS/380) via PC,
>> with z/OS as a target. I don't want BDW, just the RDW format
>> that ftp produces. I'm very happy with the RDW format that
>> IBM's ftp produces, I just want it to be reversible.

> STRU R is reversible; RDW isn't.  For your objective, the remaining
> chore would be to synthesize STRU R on OS 380.

I now have the test results from STRU R, and here is
what it looks like:

000000  C8859393 9640A388 859985FF 01C69693  Hello there..Fol
000010  92A2FF01 FF02                        ks....

That is not even close to the RDW format that IBM
provides. I have based PDPCLIB around IBM's RDW
format.

That STRU R format also doesn't allow data with x'ff'
in it. The RDW format does.

>> I hope someone can ask IBM about this.

> STRU R should meet your objective.

Unfortunately not.

> It's available today.  Any resolution of RDW by IBM
> would take months

I'm happy for it to takes months. It's been broken for
many years. I just want the problem to eventually be
solved nicely by IBM and in the meantime I will point
people to non-IBM utilities.

> and probably wouldn't be satisfactory.

I don't care if there is a new keyword or any other
solution, so long as IBM's RDW format is reversible.

>> Why not use XMIT/RECEIVE or TERSE ? Does the job for me...

> Are you using TRANSMIT or AMATERSE on MVS/380?

There is a TRANSMIT-equivalent called XMIT370, and I
distribute GCCMVS in that manner.

But I would like to be able to distribute a V file the
same way I can distribute an F file or a U file, ie
just as a simple file, no wrapper (like XMIT/TERSE).

> I'm beginning to suspect that the OP wants to FTP the host
> image of OS/380 data sets to z/OS and have the z/OS FTP
> RDW facility unwind them.  If so, I suspect he might yet need
> to deal with images of BDWs, count fields, and key fields
> which I suspect must exist for BPAM/BSAM/QSAM channel
> program support.

I am not interested in BDWs etc. I consider that IBM's
RDW option is an excellent choice for variable-lengthed
binary records. It produces a V-format file that can be
processed by a C program. The C program is expected
to understand what an RDW is (but not BDW etc). I
consider this to be logical and neat, and all I am after
is for the RDW option to be reversible so that F, V and
U files can all be transferred simply from mainframe
to PC and back.

BFN. Paul.