On 12/30/2014 04:18 AM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
> In <54a23cd9.6040...@acm.org>, on 12/29/2014
>    at 11:49 PM, Joel Ewing <jcew...@acm.org> said:
>
>> The problem is not that you can't already recognize on a
>> member-by-member level whether or not data is PACKED.
>
> Isn't there a flag in the directory entry?

I don't see any field so indicated in the basic PDS directory entry, or
in the fields in the User Data section of the directory entry used for
ISPF Statistics or even the more recent fields for ISPF Extended
Statistics (and logically it couldn't be in the Statistics section since
the presence of the ISPF Statistics fields can be optionally suppressed
to conserve directory space).  The in-house utilities we wrote to scan
potentially-packed source libraries just keyed off the actual content of
the member to determine if unpacking was required.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org