>If now with new releases of the
>OpSys, all modules linked as RENT will be read only,

I'm not sure where that thought came from. The operating system rule has
been in place for way longer than I have.
In general, reentrant modules from APF-authorized concatenations are
placed into key 0 storage (SP252) and other modules are placed into SP251.

Therefore one concludes that a reentrant module that does need to "store
into itself" either needs not to be fetched from an APF-authorized
concatenation or needs to be able to get into key 0.

If the sentiment related to thinking about REFRPROT, note that the
REFRPROT option applies only to things that are marked refreshable which
is stronger than reentrant.

I'm sorry I got the group off track by my use of the term 'static' to
refer to intended-not-to-be-written-into storage. I defer to those on the
group with more knowledge of the historical use of the term (particularly
by high level languages). Whether their use was a good use of the term or
not is largely water under the bridge. It is what it is.
I don't know of any reentrant code in the BCP in assembler or (internal)
PL/X for which static does not happen to equate to constant-after-load.
Maybe we just like the protection of having the assembler flag stores into
the CSECT for reentrant parts, and don't care to bother tweaking that
option for a case where such a store could be OK.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design