Hi Folks,

PUT 1412 for z/OS 2.1 and 1.13, is a memorable PUT level (RSU or whatever). At that level, IBM has retrofitted its UCB lookup changes that were designed for the next release (2.2?) so that they will also apply to these earlier releases (HBB7790, HBB7780 and JBB778H). The PTF numbers are:

UA90741 for HBB7790
UA90740 for HBB7780
UA90742 for JBB778H with UA90740 as req

One consequence of this is that the UCB device display in SHOWzOS (CBT File 492) won't work unless you put in the brand new version of SHOWzOS 7.22 that is on the Updates page of www.cbttape.org. Roland just updated it today. If you use SHOWzOS, please update it immediately from the source code on CBT File 492 on the UPDATES page of www.cbttape.org.

I haven't gotten to updating the load modules on Files 614, 035, and 135 yet. So for now, please assemble SHOWzOS from source on File 492 (Updates).

If you use the UCBDASD, UCBTAPE, and UCBTYPE TSO commands on CBT File 731, I updated them yesterday, to work on the new levels of z/OS as well as the old levels.

We are trying to fix all programs which use the ULUT lookup method directly, which are on the CBT collection, but we are still in the midst of that process. Please bear with us. If you need a particular program updated, we feel we know how to do it, so please write to me directly, off list.

The reason why I personally want to write programs using the ULUT lookup method directly (to show real UCBs without being APF authorized) is:

1. We are only displaying the UCBs. We are not trying to PIN them and change them. Most of the time we run our programs, a configuration change is not in the midst of taking place.

2. I want very much, to memorialize Gilbert Saint-flour, who needed this technique in SHOWzOS, and who basically "dug it out" as a programming interface. Gilbert was a very deep thinker in certain areas of MVS internals, and it is very worth while for people to remember (at least some of) what he did. I hope that he, and his work, are never forgotten, God forbid. A lot of Gilbert's work is on CBT Tape File 183.

    So here's the heads-up.

    All the best of everything to all of you.

Sincerely,    Sam