Dana,

It is possible to use passwords with IBM Ported Tools OpenSSH, by setting
the  "SSH_ASKPASS" environment variable and some other stuff just right.

We have the following example JCL of doing this with Co:Z SFTP (see notes
below on adapting) -

//RUNSFTP EXEC PGM=COZBATCH,REGION=64M
//STDIN DD *

# Customize these ...
coz_bin="/opt/dovetail/coz/bin"
remoteuser="uid"
server="remote.host.name"
servercp="ISO8859-1"
remotefile="/path/to/file"

# These can be used to read the ssh password from a (secured) dataset
# if you don't want to setup public/private keypairs
export PASSWD_DSN='//COZUSER.PASSWD(SITE1)'
export SSH_ASKPASS=$coz_bin/read_passwd_dsn.sh
export DISPLAY=none

ssh_opts="-oBatchMode=no"      # allows ssh to use SSH_ASKPASS program
ssh_opts="$ssh_opts -oConnectTimeout=60"
ssh_opts="$ssh_opts -oServerAliveInterval=60"
ssh_opts="$ssh_opts -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no" # accept initial host keys

# Invoke the Co:Z sftp client with an in-line batch of commands
# that downloads a remote file to a local DD.
# Note that "-oBatchMode=no" must be specified before "-b"
#      since ssh opts are first-sticky

$coz_bin/cozsftp  $ssh_opts -b- $remoteuser@$server <<EOB
lzopts mode=text,servercp=$servercp
get $remotefile //DD:DOWNLOAD
EOB

//DOWNLOAD DD DSN=&&DOWNLOAD,DISP=(NEW,DELETE),
//           DCB=(...),SPACE=(...)
//

Co:Z SFTP uses IBM Ported Tools ssh, and you can use the same technique
with IBM's sftp.

Here are some notes about adapting this to use with IBM sftp:

1) We have much better sample scripts  and JCL for running Co:Z SFTP in
batch that are much cleaner to use that this example, but this has is all
layed out in one place.

2) COZBATCH is our replacement for BPXBATCH that allows you to have STDIN
DD *, so to use BPXBATCH you have to move the STDIN input to a shell script
file.

3) In the example, our "read_passwd_dsn.sh" shell script reads the password
from the $PASSWD_DSN, so you would need to replace that with your own
script or program that produces the password

4) You would replace "$coz_bin/cozsftp" with "sftp".   IBM sftp does not
support "lzopts" or DDs or data sets.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> Co:Z SFTP is available free to use under our Community License, for
more information see:
http://dovetail.com/products/sftp.html
http://dovetail.com/support.html