I think you can blame IBM because *THEY* are the ones that went in two different directions for command list(s). TSO was the first with FB then I think NCCF went FB then other products went FB. The main culprit (??!!) was that IEBUPDTE would not support VB I am sure they had their reasons but then it becomes muddy water as SMPE needs IEBUPDTE to maintain "source" (which is what command lists are (is?)) so IBM screwed themselves because they refused to maintain IEBUPDTE.

Point the finger squarely at IBM.

Ed

On Feb 13, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Tony's Basement Computer wrote:

Not being sure if the original post required individual members, the output
of IEBPTPCH could be modified.....
 from :    MEMBER NAME     to   ./ ADD    etc etc
so as to provide input to IEBUPDTE. I'm not sure of how trailing blanks
will be treated.
I did something like this years ago, but in reverse, VB to FB. I had the
luxury of PDSMAN but the concept is the same.

Editorial P.S. : I never liked VB in the past, still don't, won't like it
for the next few months.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM- m...@listserv.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Sri h Kolusu
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 10:21 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: FB to VB PDS

Paul,

Yes I am offering him a choice as you can get both. If your shop has FILE
Manager you can use the following JCL

FB to VB PDS

//******************************************************************
//*  COPY ALL MEMBERS FROM FB PDS AND CREATE A VB PDS              *
//* X = Primay Space Y = Secondary Space Z = Directory Blocks      *
//* 1 Directory Block can contain 5 or 6 members                   *
//* DirBlocksReq = INT(Num Of Member To Create / 5 + .99 )         *
//******************************************************************
//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=FILEMGR
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DDIN     DD DISP=SHR,DSN=Your Input FB PDS
//DDOUT    DD DSN=Your Output VB PDS,
//            DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//            DCB=(RECFM=VB,LRECL=84),
//            SPACE=(CYL,(X,Y,Z),RLSE)
//SYSIN    DD *
$$FILEM DSC INPUT=DDIN OUTPUT=DDOUT MEMBER=*
//*

FB to VB Sequential File

//******************************************************************
//*  COPY ALL MEMBERS FROM FB PDS AND CREATE VB SEQUENTIAL FILE    *
//******************************************************************
//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=FILEMGR
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DDIN     DD DISP=SHR,DSN=Your Input FB PDS
//DDOUT    DD DSN=Your Output VB Seq file,
//            DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//            DCB=(RECFM=VB,LRECL=84),
//            SPACE=(CYL,(X,Y),RLSE)
//SYSIN    DD *
$$FILEM DSC INPUT=DDIN OUTPUT=DDOUT MEMBER=*
//*

If you don't have File manager then you can go the traditional route of punching(PGM=IEBPTPCH) the pds members to a sequential dataset and then
using SORT to create the VB file.

//******************************************************************
//*  PUNCH ALL MEMBERS TO A SEQUENTIAL FILE (CREATES AN FBA FILE)  *
//******************************************************************
//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=IEBPTPCH
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT1   DD DISP=SHR,DSN=Your Input FB PDS
//SYSUT2   DD DSN=&&PDSMEM,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(X,Y),RLSE)
//SYSIN    DD *
  PUNCH TYPORG=PO
//*
//******************************************************************
//*  PUNCH ALL MEMBERS TO A SEQUENTIAL VB FILE                     *
//******************************************************************
//STEP0200 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN   DD DSN=&&PDSMEM,DISP=SHR
//SORTOUT    DD DSN=Your Output VB Seq file,
//            DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//            RECFM=VB,
//            SPACE=(CYL,(X,Y),RLSE)
//SYSIN    DD *