A more pointed question.. do you need to share the usercat between plexes?
REPRO/MERGECAT or one of the Catalog vendors can split the USERCAT.  Seems
like you would need a pretty good reason to attempt to continue to share.

Dave's right.. there are items in your share list that are not eligible for
sharing.  It wasn't clear if you are sharing those items between plexes
today?

I am assuming that you already have a single system that you can IPL
outside of the current production plex.  If not, I would start there and
work through each item.

Guidelines...
If the item is XCF/XES or GRS dependent or PDSE, then sharing is probably
bad.  Read-only items are "usually" (such a grey area) a safe bet to share
(within reason).

Add another config to your IODF that has all production volumes offline at
IPL (hopefully they are in nice easy ranges... but I am guessing not)

On the RACF side.. are you planning to propagate security rules?  If so..
there is more work to do.. if not, there is more work to do.

I am guessing that your TSO users are going to be duplicated.. so it would
mean some sort of cloning/segregation of data sets

Change management.. always a fun one for considering splitting plexes

Break/fix process?  If the prod data has to be loaded into DEV for some
reason... - just make sure you pick a some typical scenarios and logically
follow them from beginning to end.

Encryption keys that might be in ICSF? or RACF combined with ICSF?

Did you cover tapes yet?

Automation rules...

Schedulers that use "sysplex services" to post events between dev and prod.

There is a lot of "sharing" between systems prod and dev.. which is why it
is easy to forget seemingly insignificant items from the list.

Rob Schramm

Rob Schramm
Senior Systems Consultant