On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:14:44 -0600, Joel Ewing wrote:

>In the original Email that I received from Ed the Email source text (as
>opposed to the way my Email client renders it) shows the presence of a
>hex-encoded blank (= 2 0) followed by a CR at about the 70-character

GIYF:
    Character-set: USASCII; Format-flowed

>This is certainly a confusing inconsistency in Thunderbird if not an
>out-right bug (depends on whether this way of wrapping long character
>strings is actually an approved Email standard).

RFC 822 requires support for up to 999.

 > Apparently some other
>Email clients do interpret it in a way that preserves the link. On the
>other hand there are certainly Email clients that send long URLs without
>using this formatting convention, as I frequently receive long URLs in
>Emails (including the reformatted version of this URL from Paul) that
>work fine with Thunderbird.

I (of course) blame IBM for allowing 80- and 72- character limitations
of obsolete hardware to set the standard for data representation on
other media.  VM/CMS (optionally) communicates with the SMTP
server via a virtual card punch.

>On 02/23/2015 02:22 AM, Wayne Bickerdike wrote:
>> The link works fine in my Gmail client. Almost all of Pauls OMVS email
>> postings end up in my spam folder. Google have been supplied with many
>> examples for their (non) spam filter. Any one else find this happens?

And they won't tell you why!  Almost all my IBM-MAIN postings are via
the WWW interface, not email, and I suspect that Gmail considers an
inconsistency between my email address (...@AIM.com) and Received:
headers identifying UA.EDU a symptom of spam.  Do my IBM-MAIN
submissions get treated as spam?  My recent submission Re: Japan
was via AIM.com rather than UA.EDU.

-- gil