In <54eb51f4.9020...@acm.org>, on 02/23/2015
   at 10:14 AM, Joel Ewing <jcew...@acm.org> said:

>In the original Email that I received from Ed the Email source
>text (as opposed to the way my Email client renders it) shows the
>presence of a hex-encoded blank (= 2 0) followed by a CR at about
>the 70-character mark in the two places where the original URL
>later gets separated when quoted.

That sounds like QP. I checked, and he has the appropriate MIME fields
in his header, e.g., Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable.

>I'm not sure who or what is producing or introducing this URL
>formatting as it is definitely not part of the actual URL.

His e-mail client; does your e-mail client claim to support MIME?

>My Thunderbird Email client seems to partly realize that the extra
>characters are not a legitimate part of the URL and when
>displaying the Email elides the three parts without a blank or
>forced CR, but the part rendered in blue as a "link" and the part
>passed as the URL when clicking on the link stops at the first
>"= 2 0 CR" point, so the passed URL from the link doesn't work in
>my browser.

Sounds like a bug in BlunderBird. Is anybody supporting it these days?

>(depends on whether this way of wrapping long character strings is
>actually an approved Email standard)

RFC 2045 through 2049 are standards track.