The spanning dataset is HSM.HMIGTAPE.DATASET.  All the files are kept
within the one dataset name.

For tapes that are not spanned, then RECYCLE and DELETE PURGE works well.
It's these tapes that are stacked 3 & 4 deep that have me confused.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Staller, Allan <allan.stal...@kbmg.com>
wrote:

> IF migtape, recall the "spanning" dataset and perform a recycle. Dataset
> can be found with HSEND LIST TTOC (volser).
>
> If backtape,, ensure you have a valid "real" copy of the dataset.
> HBDEL 'dataset name'  ALL
> HBACKDS 'dataset name'
>

> HTH,
>
> <snip>
> I have some migration tapes that form some chains.  The problem ends up
> being that the first tape in the chain will become empty of valid data as
> the data expires.  But I can't scratch tape since it is in a chain.  I
> don't want to have to wait until all the data on every tape expires to
> reclaim these tapes.  Is there anything I can do to remove a tape from the
> chain?  HSM & DFRMM.
> </snip>

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent
Mainline’s positions or opinions

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainline Information Systems