Hi

Im not a performance analyst, Im a CICS & MQ Sys-Prog.
I dont understand this new "paradyne".

Some Back ground
March 1 Our Development Team introducd some new functionality.
The following week we were plagued with multiple 0C4 and 0C7 - ASRA Abends,
Storage Violations, and one CICS Task abended in a loss of our main production
CICS Region.

March 7 a secnd wave of application changes were deployed.
All Of the Abends with the Exception of The Storage Vioation seem to have
evaporated, as they no-longer exists. However we are now see a sihnificant
Increase of I/O, Almost double in
CPU consumption by many tasks, and an Increase in Storage Occupancy for these
transaction.

Some Transaction Storage incresaed by 6+ Meg.

Working with our Capacity Planning and Performance  person and reviewing CMF
data, RMF Reports, running Traces, and real time Monitors we have identified
the 7 buggest cuprits. (STROBE is a Great Product)
.
We provided our findings and analysis to our Management and Mainframe
development management with much reluctance.
.
.

Heres what I dont understand
Our development management are telling is (Systems & Operations) that it is
"cheaper to Upgrade the mainfame than to have the application programmers
review their code for performance oppurtunities".
.
.
Are You F...ing kidding me.
.
.
In todays era is this true, because I havent heard of it ?
.
The Systems teams spent three weeks trying to compensate and adjust our
performance configuration (LPAR Weights, CICS File Adjustments etc.) to
accomodate the additional CPU that was introduced.
.
I have not seen any documents produced stating that it would be cheaper to
Upgrade to a larger machine. What about the License costs for all our products ?
.
.
If a Machine costs 8 Million, are you telling me 10 good COBOL CICS & MQ
appliaction programmers could not make some improvement
for less than 8-Mil ?
.
One of My application developers explained to me that they were getting a
ASRA/0C4 Abend.
So to correct it they increased 3 tables from 33 entries (3Meg) to 99 entries
(9Meg).
.
Did I miss a performance lecture at SHARE ?
.
Can someone explain and rationalize for this new paradyne ?
.
"cheaper to Upgrade the mainfame than to have the application programmers
review their code for performance oppurtunities".

.
Im clueless .  ??