That is a very important point. I have been involved in more than one upgrade
(or lack thereof) where we chose a less than technically ideal configuration
because the MSU/MIPS of said configuration were somehow more favorable.

Once though, the optimal technical and software cost solutions did align.
Strange but true.

In my experience, when adding capacity, the software cost is the biggest
component. And ISV one-time charges are often the largest component of that.
The most galling part is when the software that's the biggest cost has nothing
to do with the reason you're adding capacity and is not going to be used any
more or less after the upgrade.