On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:00:20 +0300, Steff Gladstone wrote:

>how
>does the operating systen itself maintain a continuous ENQ over several job
>steps for a dataset allocated in the first step with disp=(mod,pass)?

It isn't so much a question of "How" as "Who".

The Initiator performs the ENQ and ATTACHes the Job Step TCB. When
the job step ends, it ATTACHes the Job Step TCB for the next step.
When the last step ends, it cleans up. Lots of fancy error recovery code
is also involved.

You said that your process has to be multiple job steps, but if you had a
main program that called (or attached) the other programs that need to
run to perform the process, you could do the same thing, with an ENQ
that covered the whole process. Any necessary allocation and
deallocation could be done by the main program.

You have also not said how you plan to ensure that other processes do
not change the program. What is to stop me from compiling and binding
the program outside of your process? Or using IEBCOPY? The ENQ will not
do it. These programs will not issue an ENQ against your resource name.
There is nothing magic about ENQ. It only works if all of the users of the
resource, in this case the program, issue an ENQ against the same
resource name.

--
Tom Marchant