>Which means that the ZFS address takes a good while to do a "check"
>function on all of them when we IPL at D.R.
​
zFS updates a heartbeat record in every mounted zFS files system every 30
seconds.When zFS detects that a file system has not been properly unmounted, it
will wait for 65 seconds before continuing with the mount. It does so to detect
whether the file system is still mounted elsewhere.

See
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/#!/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ioea700/unmfs.htm

>I don't know if OMVS is int ETC/WAIT status during this time, however.​

I'd say no. It does not make sense to start the init script before all files
systems have been mounted. The script or anything startred by it might refer to
any place in the file system structure.

Once the file systens are mounted, OMVS starts BPXOINIT, which in turn runs
/etc/rc (assuming you're not using etc/inittab). BPXOINIT will fork() a shell
to run the script; and the script may fork() yet more processes. Thes will run
in BPXAS UNIX initiator address space, which in turn run under JESx.

So, this process may hang waiting for JESx to become available, or as other
already mentioned, waiting for subprocesses to end or daemonize.

Note that parameter file /etc/init.options has two options -a  and -t.  -a
specified how many seconds the init process shall wait for the init script to
complete. Message FSUM4013I will be issued to the /etc/log file when the
interval expires. -t specifies whether the init process shall continue to wait
or terminate the script when the timeout occurs.

If JESx is up, do you see IEF start messages for BPXAS address spaces? Does
wither "D OMVS,W" or "D OMVS,A=ALL" display anthing helpful?

--
Peter Hunkeler