J O Skip Robinson wrote:

>Users needed a simple way to display percentage free space on a set of DASD
>volumes identified by volser prefix. Simplest solution was to run our own
>SPACE command, trap the output, do some calculations, and display the answer.
>SPACE runs in subcommand mode, so issue SPACE followed by subcommands to get
>desired output.

Uhhh, sorry, but what is 'subcommand mode'. This is certainly something I never
heard of.

>I could not get this to work in REXX. As soon SPACE was entered, no
>subcommands would be read from the stack until I manually entered 'end'. That
>exited the SPACE command and lost all further processing opportunity.

>So I wrote a CLIST-first brand new one decades. I had to read the manual a
>lot, made many mistakes, but got it working because CLIST handles subcommand
>mode just fine. Question: did I really need to do that?

Ouch. You can use REXX to trap output. Perhaps if you can give me your
sanitized version of SPACE and your CLIST, I could try to conjure up a REXX
thing. No guarantees of course...

There are many examples of REXX programs floating around trapping output of
another program or CLIST/REXX.

Alternatively, could you try something in REXX on a list of volsers in ISMF? Or
REXX on a report of available space from ISMF?

Or could you rewrite SPACE to accept parameters instead of 'subcommands'? Then
it is just one call and REXX/CLIST can trap everything for you.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht