Charles:
The TSO command to receive data (not the tso transmit/receive) is document in a small booklet (can't remember the number) but IIRC it was a 3 ring binder. This small booklet was a wealth of information and if you look hard enough there is "help" (s/b in sys1.help) but since it was never a supported program (it was in the SMP4 era believe it or not) there was never an FMID (AFAIK) just a 3.5" floppy .

Ed
On May 6, 2015, at 7:50 PM, Charles Mills wrote:

just about everyone wrote a CALLCP command to do this, often with variations. I'll bet there are several on the CBT site.

Does anyone know of one? I can't find one looking at the one-line descriptions and it is kind of a PITA to download and RECV a file just to find out that it's not at all relevant. I thought File # 325 TSO Command Processor Programs from Wells Fargo looked promising but it's not this.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM- m...@listserv.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:06 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Basic question on TSO commands and other executables

On 5 May 2015 at 18:47, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
Assume a program in userid.MY.LOAD named FOO. Assume TSOLIB ADD
DSN(MY.LOAD) which implies Ready prompt, not ISPF. Is the following correct?

- If I type FOO SOME OPERANDS then FOO will be entered "as a TSO command"
with R1 pointing to a 4-word CPPL. The doc is pretty clear on that.

Yes.

- OTOH if I enter CALL MY(FOO) 'SOME OPERANDS' then FOO will be
entered with normal z/OS linkage, e.g. R1 pointing to a word that
points to a halfword length and the character string 'SOME OPERANDS'
(without the quotes). Is that correct? The doc is not very clear to me.

Yes.

I'm surprised the doc isn't clear, but it's one of those "everyone knows that" sort of things, so I don't doubt you.

A corollary question: is there any way to execute FOO as a TSO command
but specify that I want the FOO in userid.MY.LOAD, not some other FOO
that might be ahead of it in the STEPLIB concatenation? Can I get the
explicit load library of CALL with the linkage of a command processor?
(Excluding solutions that involve writing programs to search the
libraries, de-concatenating, and so forth. I want to just execute FOO
from a specified load library without changing the whole environment.)

 READY
test my(foo) cp
 IKJ57090A ENTER COMMAND FOR CP
foo some operands
 TEST
run
<output from foo>
 READY

Over the decades just about everyone wrote a CALLCP command to do this, often with variations. I'll bet there are several on the CBT site. But of course *that* command has to be in some sense installed, or of course you can run *it* under TEST...