On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Russell Witt <res09...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Wow, you sure got a lot of answers and very quickly.
>
> ​<snip/>​

> And as others have stated, if you are looking for something more in terms
> of
> batch processing I would always recommend CA Earl first and then TMSGRW
> (which is a little basic but might suffice) and of course the no-cost CA
> Vantage if you want a GUI interface to product nice customized reports that
> can be converted into excel spreadsheets or charts and graphs for
> management
> (remember, managers need pictures to understand anything).

​I, perhaps stupidly, use TMSBINQ to "unload" the TMC into three z/OS UNIX
files (HEADERS, VOLUMES, & DSNB) with JCL as posted at the end. I have two
AWK programs which process the "volumes" and "dsnbs" files. It transforms
them into syntactically correct XML. The AWK program to transform DSNB
information is 35 lines of actual code (68 lines counting comments). The
AWK program to transform VOLUME information is 27 lines of code (60 lines
counting comments). Unfortunately, I ended up using the gensub() function
in GNU awk, so I can't run the AWK code on z/OS. Now if I could just figure
how what to do with the XML ... . Eventually, I plan to load this
information into an RDMS system (PostgreSQL on Linux to be exact). Oh, I
also have similar AWK program which output JSON instead of XML. I guess
that I really should have written my stuff in REXX.

<jcl>
//HEADERS  EXEC PGM=TMSBINQ
//TMSRPT   DD PATH='/tmp2/tsh009/tmsbinq-headers.data',
//         PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT,OTRUNC),
//         PATHMODE=(SIRUSR,SIWUSR),
//         RECFM=FBA,LRECL=133,BLKSIZE=133,BUFNO=1,
//         FILEDATA=TEXT
//SYSOUT   DD   SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD   *
HEADERS
/*
//TMSOPTNS DD   *
REPORT12 LOGO=NO,LINECNT=99,LRECL=133
/*
//*
//VOLUMES  EXEC PGM=TMSBINQ
//TMSRPT   DD   PATH='/tmp2/tsh009/tmsbinq-volumes.data',
//         PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT,OTRUNC),
//         PATHMODE=(SIRUSR,SIWUSR),
//         RECFM=FBA,LRECL=133,BLKSIZE=133,BUFNO=1,
//         FILEDATA=TEXT
//SYSOUT   DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD  *
VOL=100000-299999,LONG
/*
//TMSOPTNS DD  *
REPORT12 LOGO=NO,LINECNT=99,LRECL=133
/*
//*
//DSNBS    EXEC PGM=TMSBINQ
//TMSRPT   DD   PATH='/tmp2/tsh009/tmsbinq-dsnbs.data',
//         PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT,OTRUNC),
//         PATHMODE=(SIRUSR,SIWUSR),
//         RECFM=FBA,LRECL=133,BLKSIZE=133,BUFNO=1,
//         FILEDATA=TEXT
//SYSOUT   DD   SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD   *
DSNB=1-335000,LONG
/*
​

--
My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii. She sells C shells down by the
seashore.

If someone tell you that nothing is impossible:
Ask him to dribble a football.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown