First:  You catalog all of your tape datasets  I hope.
Second: No one mentioned the 'TI' (Tape Inquiry) command shipped with later
versions of CA-1?  It can be used as a line command in ISPF 3.4 and gives you
information about those datasets and some info about the volumes.

Third: I wrote a TAPELIST command once - dealing with the complex multi-volume
multi-file situation isn't fun.  I think my program is correct (back when some
CA-1 source was shipped I tried to compare it to CA's source for reporting in
such a situation) but I always had nagging doubts.

Fourth: If you have MXG it has members to read TMC info (in SAS) and put it in
a PDB.

Fifth: In answer to Russ Witt's query, I think more and more people want some
sort of query-able interface to all of their system management data, and they
seem to either want SQL or XML.   My ideal (and this is just my personal
opinion) would be for CA-1 to supply DB2 UDFs (User-Defined Functions)  that
would read CA-1 information and return a relational result set.