On Fri, 29 May 2015 19:54:20 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>And how much has that dumb decision cost mainframe customers over the
>years? Fiasco is the right word.

And IBM could have recovered, rather than compounding the fiasco at
the inception of OMVS by making OMVS ASCII based and providing
ASCII<-->EBCDIC conversion in the C RTL for Legacy data sets except
when fopen() was called with mode="*b".  The kernel would have been
simpler for omitting autoconversion.  (I believe Legacy I/O is not
handled by kernel.)

And there would have been no EBCDIC obstacle to porting GNU and
other FOSS.

Fiasco ** 2.

Even yet, I wish IBM would complete the Enhanced ASCII support in the
C RTL. Significant omissions are Curses and X11; sockets is already
supported.

-- gil