> "change the file"!?  That's exactly what I don't want, and it gives me no
> choice.  Notepad++ and vim do better: they allow the user to choose the
> output format, defaulting to the original input format.

Paul,

It was part of a general comment about how even Microsoft has different rules in different programs. BUT(!)....

I use the Wordpad conversion process quite frequently at work. While my laptop is Linux, everybody else is Windows. When I send files (via email), I sometimes forget to run unix2dos against the file. When my coworkers get a text file from me that seems to be one long line, they know to open it with Wordpad instead of Notepad. If they need to retail the file on their Windows box, they just save it from Wordpad and never have to worry about it's Linux format agin.

Tony Thigpen