I believe this issue is worth discussing because it bears on our professional
development and performance. It seems to be generally true that European
languages all have gender-distinct pronouns at least in the singular. Same is
true of (most?) languages of India. European languages and modern Indian
languages share a common proto-type ancestor. It makes sense that Indo-European
had gender-distinct pronouns and that its progeny would also. It seems very
unlikely that such a basic linguistic feature would disappear over time.

On the other hand, most languages of eastern Asia and South Pacific--such as
those spoken in the Philippines--do not have gender-distinct pronouns. Nor do
those of Sub-Saharan Africa. One pronoun fits all. It's especially difficult
for such a learner to develop an instinctive feel for gender pronouns when
speaking a second language that demands this distinction. Mixing up pronouns
may be one of the last obstacles to overcome for a language learner.

The he/she/they conundrum in English is just another flavor of the same
problem. Once we commit to the sex of a pronoun, it's hard to use it for the
opposite gender, even to the point where we give into number anomaly in order
avoid gender anomaly. The boy-girl distinction sits at the core of our world
view.

.
.
.