It is my understanding that this is the purpose of $MSPL, but I did not have
much luck  (probably due to a procedural error(?)  on my part).

I just went through the process in reverse. Migrating Mod 3 spool to Mod 9. I
issued a $PSPL prior to the $MSPL. When the  $MSPL was issued, very little
actually happened.

It has been my experience that there is always "something" on the spool volume
being drained that will require an IPL to make the "something" available for
deletion.
Given a SYSPLEX, this is a non-issue.

Once the "something" is available for deletion, SPOOL offload/reload, or just
plain $P* can be used to free the original spool volume.

HTH,

<snip>
In JES2, I have 11 SPOOL volumes but the last two I added were mod 9's,
whereas, the others are mod 3's.  I did not mean to put the SPOOL volumes on
mod 9's.  I have issued the drain ($PSPOOLA) to drain that volume but there is
obviously a lot of stuff on it and I don't know how long it will take to drain!
 After it drains, I will run jobs to INIT, FORMAT, and START the new SPOOLA
(which will be a mod 3).

My question is:
Can I use the $MSPL to migrate the contents of SPOOLA to a differently named
SPOOL volume(say, SPOOLC)?  I'm assuming , in that case, I would only need to
INIT a mod 3 with a different name.  I'm thinking that might be a better way to
get rid of the mod 9 and implement the mod 3 more quickly.  Some of the "stuff"
on SPOOLA is EXECUTING rather than, for example, AWAITING HARDCOPY.  There is
also the issue of the differing size of the packs (mod 9 vs mod 3).
</snip>