>>We have a requirement that looks for exporting an Excel template with data in
>>a tabular format from an FTP folder location to a mainframe PDS >>which later
>>needs to be accessed via COBOL for some business processing logic.

>>We know that this works fine if the input Excel file is in .CSV format. What
>>we are looking for is, if anyone is aware of any such functionalities >>where
>>we can accept and export the Excel template as such to a PDS that is readable
>>by COBOL without being converted to a .CSV file?

If you have MS SQL Server at your installation, your MSSQL DBA's should be able
to develop a SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) application to transform
your Excel worksheet into an XML file, which could then be FTP'ed to the
mainframe PDS.

You could then write COBOL application programs to do the XML PARSE to extract
the information you need for your business logic.

You may also be able to do something similar with MS Access.

John