Several years ago, I developed an API which allows COBOL, ASM, etc. to read
and write native excel files.

To read, the unmodified Excel files is binary uploaded to sequential file
or PDS member.  JCL allocates sequential file or PDS member via JCL.  COBOL
program accesses sequential file or PDS member via API.

Let me know if you are interested in additional details.

Sam