> Interesting you should suggest that.
> I did a batch IPCS run with my REXX and sure enough, in TSO/Batch
> the BLS18028I is captured by OUTTRAP and my REXX displays it as
expected.

> Question now is, why isn't it captured with the REXX is executed
> interactively?
>
> So, if IPCS is executed in interactive TSO, the BLS18028I messages
> is issued to the "print" file that is displayed upon the terminal.
> If, however, the same REXX is executed in TSO/Batch, the message is
> captured by OUTTRAP and placed in the stem that was passed in the
> first OUTTRAP call. It does not appear in the print file nor on the
> output associated with SYSTSPRT.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Since the primary use of this REXX will be batch as opposed to
> interactive, I can live with it I guess.
> Just wish it would work the same regardless of environment.
>
> C-
>
> Charles (Chuck) Hardee
> Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
> EAS Information Technology
>
> Thermo Fisher Scientific
> 300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275
> Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412)
490-9230
> chuck.har...@thermofisher.com  | www.thermofisher.com
>
> WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other
> than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system
> responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is
> prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
> sender and delete all copies.

information.

  I can tell you what IPCS does.  The FIND subcommand processor BLSRFIND
calls
BLSUTRMV to issue the message.  Comments in BLSUTRMV say that it does
this:

<quote>
If ISPF services are not available, the message is
transmitted to the terminal via the TSO IKJPUTL service
routine.  IKJPUTL processing is sensitive to the TSO
environment and the current context:

A. The most common disposition of the message is to use the
   TPUT service to send the message to the terminal.  This
   is the normal action in an interactive TSO session.

B. In a batch TSO session, the most common disposition of
   the message is to use QSAM PUT processing to write the
   line to FILE(SYSTSPRT).

C. During CLIST processing in either interactive or batch
   TSO sessions,

     CONTROL NOMSG

   may be used to cause the message to be discarded.

D. When TSO/E is installed and CLIST processing is active,

     SET SYSOUTTRAP=decimal-number

   may be used to cause the message to be captured in a
   &SYSOUTLINEnn CLIST variable.

The several actions possible are services performed by
IKJPUTL, not BLSUTRMV.
<end quote>

  And the code agrees with these comments.  There is no checking
of batch vs. terminal.   It just calls IKJPUTL.  So I would guess
that whatever differences you are seeing would be a question for
TSO/E.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY