On 2015-10-15, at 21:06, J O Skip Robinson wrote:

> I'm piecing together various clues. It appears to me that:
>
> 1. The UCCB is a defined control block, mapped in several (!) MACLIB members
> such as CUNBAIDF.

A more modular design might map it in one macro and call it from all
the others.  Jurisdiction probably precludes.

> 2. Various flags are defined beginning at UCCB+10.
> 3. Somehow during IPL the system clock has been overlaying UCCB+10 by
> (presumably) Unicode set up processing.
> 4. No one noticed all this time because the flag nibble in the timestamp has
> always, coincidentally, indicated 'Unicode available'.
> 5. As of the magic moment on December 15, the clock rolls over and reverses
> the benign bit. Without the fix, Unicode appears to be unavailable more or
> less forever. Until the bit once again changes back?
>
> I suspect that checks for the timestamp are far rarer than checks for Unicode
> availability. So the fix is to store the clock somewhere else at IPL
> (UCCB+20) and ensure that the critical flags are zero. Our PMR indicates what
> I suspected: a zero value means OK, a one value means not OK. This is
> analogous to the RACF flag in the CVT. Zero means that RACF is functional
> while one means that it is not. I have a hilarious war story about how I know
> that.

And I wonder how the problem was discovered.  Does someone routinely test
with the system clock advanced a few weeks; long enough for an APAR to
turn around?  May I infer from "Our PMR" that you're the reporting site?

-- gil