From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of J O Skip Robinson
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: (External):Re: Unicode services Red alert

We have installed the R13 PTF and tested with assistance from IBM. To see your
vulnerability, use IPCS ACTIVE or Omegamon MLST or Mainview (???) to display
data currently in the UCCB control block at +10:

10?+220?+3C?+10

Before the PTF, you will see something like CFA83DBE 87F18D69 , which is a copy
of the system clock at the last IPL. The problem is that on December 15, this
data turns to D0000000 00000000 . With this clock value, the flag being checked
for Unicode availability returns 'not available' via RC 8. After the PTF is
IPLed (required!), the field is all zeroes, which is OK. The fix moves the time
stamp to UCCB+20 and zeroes out UCCB+10.

In order to verify functionally, SYS1.SAMPLIB contains member CUNSISMA, which
calls Unicode. RC 0 indicates Unicode is available, RC 8 indicates it is not
available. If you run CUNSISMA today, you'll get RC 0. But if you use your
favorite memory altering tool--we used Omegamon MZAP--to set UCCB+10 to
D0000000 00000000, the program will get RC 8. After the fix is IPLed, UCCB+10
is all zeroes, and CUNSISMA gets RC 0.

We could go further and IPL the system to December 16, but that's a lot of
trouble just to see if IBM is telling the truth. ;-)

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
jo.skip.robin...@sce.com

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.