>Leap seconds are a different issue.  z/OS shuts down
>all applications during a leap second.

This is incorrect / incomplete.
Depending on configuration, z/OS may spin (we can consider that close
enough to "shut down" to be accurate) or steer.

>This may have been the objective of STCKCONV and CONVTOD, but
>they fall far short of it.  IBM refuses to document them.  I
>suspect IBM is simply ashamed of their deficiencies.

I suspect that, if you asked your colleagues in an impartial way, they
would not agree with your opinion on this topic. To my recollection you
have not initiated such a discussion, but you do continue to post
statements like this. It is true that IBM refuses to document anything
about local, GMT, or UTC time for these services because the services are
nothing more than (architected-format) clock value manipulators, which is
what is documented. Make your case.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design