Thanks Timothy. Yes, now that I know that it works I'll clean it up to allow
more flexibility and to provide detailed documentation. It definitely needs to
allow for both single and double length keys. Even though, I'm pretty sure that
this assembler routine will only ever be called by the specific PL/I module
that I've written, and that module provides a service to the application
programs to allow them to validate or query an item of data. The validation is
easy as the response is just YES or NO, whereas the query function returns the
data item to the application program, hence the need for encryption. All the
same, this needs to be run past the security people here to make sure that they
approve the use of this technique.

Regards,
John.