Lizette Koehler wrote:

>I have a request to read the oldest GDG to process.

I believe someone asked at SHARE, but my memory has been rolled out ala GDG...
grrrrr....

Something like these:

MY.GDG(LATEST)  (same as (0) )
MY.GDG(OLDEST)
MY.GDG(LATEST-7)
MY.GDG(LATEST+1)  (for creation of a new version of GDDG?)

I tried this before posting on a GDG of 5 with JCL DD MY.GDG(-6). Only got a
JCL error as documented...

>But CSI is slow sometimes and better other times.

Limiting the scope of CSI searches could speed things up, unless you want to do
a big search.

>So here is the basic request File lands as a GDG often
>The process needs to read the oldest GDG and then delete it.
>GDGs must be read in correct order for time/date processing

>Or is there another way to handle this situation?  I was going to see if the
>LISTC could be faster than CSI.

LISTC could be faster. Just use the First ASSOCIATIONS in GDG BASE output.

But then wraparound of version numbers could be a problem.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht